Who We are ?
Due to distant from the district headquarter limited Government resources were reached to the Bakamalang VDC of Palpa district . In the other hand, economic as well as educational status of the people was also poor. Though, some youths of the VDC were enthusiastic to engage in development activities. At the meantime, BES Nepal was established in 1992 aiming to support children for their education. BES Nepal has registered in District Administration Office Palpa (Reg. No. 43) and affiliated to SWC(A.N. 1157) as non-political, non-religious, membership and community based development organization. Currently, 100 plus members are working.
BES-Nepal is operating as per its third five years’ strategic plan (2016-2020). It is affiliated on more than nine National networks and well known as child right promoter organization. It is establishing as a model on organizational development with mobilizing the members and it has its own identity in the sector of self -governance, inclusiveness, volunteerism, social harmony, and Social justice as the protector of human right.
BES Nepal has long experience on social mobilization working on education, health and nutrition sector in Palpa and neighboring districts. It has been practiced time movement, book reading habit and positive thinking and acting culture. In the other hand there are experienced, efficient and highly accountable human resources towards the targeted sectors and the communities are actively working with the organization.
- Creation of civilized, self-dependent and equitable society.
- Facilitate on meaningful participation and dignity life of community people.
- Support on identification of local resources, mobilization and its management.
- Sustainable development of the organization.
- Work to maintain quality of all community programs and make them sustainable.
- Support to end all types of discrimination and establish social harmony and peace
- Support for establishing equal opportunity to all class, tribe for their easier life style.
- Support on economic generation and social security promotion for marginalized and deprived.
- Support and or facilitate on national priorities
- Humanitarian support during disaster
- Promote community practice on leadership development, inclusion, governance and transparency.
- Establish as a successful and self -dependent civil society organization.
- Support on the free and qualitative basic education.
- Improve the hygienic & nutrition status of target group.
- To serve helpless people including blind, disable person and people with physical, mental challenge.
- To initiate the campaign of plantation and work for the environmental protection.
- To support and collaborate on National priorities.
- Support on conservation of appropriate traditions and culture.
- To initiate different programs for exploring creativity and broaden inner capacity.
- Mobilize community for their own development.
- To support on emergency.
Target Groups and Sectors:
|Children||ECD, Primary Education, Health and Nutrition, Child Protection|
|Women||Safe Motherhood, Social Security, Skill Development and advocacy of rights|
|Youths||Skill Development, Awareness upon drugs, Self Employment, Youth Forum and advocacy on rights.|
|Vulnerable and marginalized Community||Modernization on Agriculture and animal farming, Skill development for income generation, Empowerment|
Areas for Mainstreaming
|Disable||Skill development, Rehabilitation, Advocacy on disable friendly environment|
|HIV and AIDS||Skill development, Rehabilitation, Income Generation program, Awareness and Advocacy|
|Disaster Management and Emergency response||Awareness, Rescue, Planning on Pre-Plan|
|Public Awareness||Public hearing, discussion, Advocacy on good utilization of resources and Constitutional education|
|Climate Change||Awareness, Local concern on the conservation of forest and environment|
Working modality of BES-Nepal
BES- Nepal has adopted some special bases in its strategy plan while working in the community. These are mentioned as follows;
- Activity based on the organizational norms and values:
BES-Nepal has its strategy plan, policy and clear norms and values. These are the guidelines of the organizational. It has implemented its program guiding by the GESI, right practice of democratic value, social harmony and its development, social justice and good governance , human rights, local culture promotion and local resource mobilization. Staffs of the organization are oriented by this fact and they are monitored for the right implementation. Similarly, BES has mainstreamed to advocacy and impact, organization development, networking and national issues which support to the organization to be recognized.
- Method of participatory planning:
BES adopts the participatory method of planning strategy because these are the guidelines for the proposal of program. The activities of the programs are generated by the strong participation and discussion with the stakeholders. The responsibility of that discussion is taken by the staffs of BES those who are allotted to work in any specific place. When the activities are finalized by the stakeholders are passed by the executive committee. Member and staffs are fully oriented where to work, what to work for the part of participation. Especially, the part of participation is linked with the working modality of donor agency as they work based on complete physical and financial support, complete technical and nominal financial support and technical support only. This type of participatory mechanism has been mentioned in the policy so that it has been easy to complete the activity in time with the interest of stakeholders.
- Phase in and phase out strategy
According to the strategy of BES, at the beginning of the program, it implements phase in program such as district and VDC level interaction program, group formation program. Partnership of program planning, implementation, evaluation and monitoring system, program advisory committee formation has also been formed to the evaluation of the program. . Similarly, BES has implemented the phase out policy too to end the program such as setting indicators. First phase in front of the organization, second phase: community and group discussion, third phase: community and group will be the front and organization will be back.
For phase out of the program there is M & E system, documentation and impact study, field review hand over plan providing knowledge and skill for institutional development and Fund support Material support and Supporting to organization for the linkage with governmental organization.
- Monitoring and Evaluation system:
BES has adopted a special monitoring and evaluation system. According to this system, all of the programs of the organization are guided. For the effective monitoring of the program, local level helping group are also formed who guides the organization with the proper suggestion of local stakeholders. Similarly, there is the trend of conducting semiannual review meeting in the district level and organizational level which also provides the suggestion for further movement. According to the resources of the program, satisfaction of the right holders is also measured to find out the effectiveness of the program..
- Major strategy for the sustainability of Program:
Pre plan is made for the sustainability of Program by BES Nepal which enables the local partnership. The programs are conducted based on the public partnership, local level structure formation, capacity building and social mobilization, mainstreaming of the major issues, advocacy of the issues and local skills.
- Process of supporting to community and social organizations:
BES is aware that there is no possibility of conducting the program without involvement of the local people. So, BES supports for the public awareness, community level planning program, economic and technical support and skill hand over program to the needy people and community.
BES has its own norms and values of partnership. It supports for the increment of the resources. It prioritizes for for the local resources and skill which guides the mobilization for the private sector. According to the need and its specification, the foreign aid is accepted.
- Base of partnership selection
- Co-ordination of the organizational norms and values with partner org.
- Attitude of Nepalese towards partner organization.
iii. National priority and local need based plan.
- International identity of partner organization.
- Behave of partner organization with other org.
- Equality with VMGO of BES.
vii. Attitude of partner organization for social mobilization and social empowerment.
viii. Ideology partner organization toward human rights.
- Faith of partner organization upon its specified area.
- The following terms are not accepted to BES;
- which do not favor to local resources.
- Which hinder to local group formation.
iii. Which degrade to the sovereignty and freedom.
- Points included after MOU.
- Which dominates the local culture and social values.
- Organizational development
BES wants to be built as the self supportive organization. It has formed its organizational structure to empower the capacity of the organization. The structure has been formed as follow.
- Management Committee( Executive Committee, Senior Management Team)
- Monitoring Team( Account, Procurement, Human Resource Development and Management Committee)
- Organizational Development is must in launching of any program.
- OD plan is made every year with SWOT.
- Human Resource Management:
For the part of the organizational development human resource is essential part. To empower the skill and positive attitude upon the organization, BES provides evaluation and monitoring, good governance, policy making and fund raising skill to board members. Similarly, it provides organizational development and positive attitude skill to all members and staffs too. BES has identified the indicators for every staffs for the evaluation of the performance. According to the performance, there is a system to reward and encourage them. Moreover, well performer is given chances to participate in the training.
- Co-ordination Process:
BES forms different groups in the course of the program implementation. Within that group, dispute among them is solved by them. If any innovative types of activities are done by any groups, other groups are given chances to visit and share the experiences among them. Similarly, monthly program review meeting, board and staffs interaction, bimonthly senior staffs meeting and sharing meeting with board by the head of the program are the examples of BES for the promotion of co-ordination. Annual general assembly and introduction cum review meeting with staffs and members is also conducted. Semi –annual and annual review meeting with stakeholders and right holders are other major examples of co-ordination. BES has practiced to submit annual program report with concern government agencies so that linkage and co-ordination has been strengthened with them.
- Organizational Management:
Management skill has been practiced to implement in the organization. Impact and effects are analyzed before any decision made by the concern committee. The decision which is suitable according to the context of the organization and country is selected and implemented. According to the need of the organization, the necessary administrative working modality, staff mobilization, social mobilization, performance evacuation and management policy has been made in favor of the organization. To empower the board, members, staffs, volunteers, stakeholders and right holders, BES has practiced to deliver the skill t the, whereas they can be sustained by them.
- Governance and management in BES-Nepal:
- Regular and timely conduction of General Assembly as per the Government rule.
- Updated policies/Guidelines related to finance, HR, Admin, Procurement, OD.
- Strongly implemented the Child Safeguarding policy, GESI guideline and Conflict of Interest Policy.
- No dual role of board and staffs. No board members are allowed to be staffs and staffs are not allowed to be a member of executive board.
- Provision of inclusion in structure of membership/staff
- Involvement of board on policy develop and review, project design, monitoring and approval.
- Leadership change/development. (Provision on constituent for no Chairperson regularly more than 2 times)
- Established mechanism of Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning for Quality delivery of program.
- Executive Director is directed by executive board and has full responsibility to coordinate, monitor and ensure the quality of all programs implemented by the organization.
- A senior management Team has been formed with the representation of senior staffs from all depart/program. It supports to collaborate among programs.
- Daily office operation and program implementation. Separately management of the office based and field based staff.
- Clear Phase in and out strategy.
- Human Resource:
- 90 over staffs and 100 plus general members are involved.
- Diverse and thematic expert staffs are available.
- Annual PER and reward to staffs after evaluation has been continuously performing.
- Local and cluster based staffs.
- Staffs and members orientation is regular in every year.
- Developed the expertise on education and nutrition, NGO management, monitoring and evaluation, action research.
- Maintain/updated (JD) Personal profile of staffs and board members.
- Clear HR recruiting policy and staff development plan is existed.
- Volunteer provision and practice promoting them.
- Financial Management
- Practicing the standard financial and accounting policy & procedure. – as per the need of funding agencies
- Auditing only by Chartered Accountant since 2009.
- Publicize financial and annual reports for transparency.
- Internal Account control system (Quarterly monitoring by internal finance monitoring committee)
- Half – yearly Auditing and strong implementation of audit recommendation.
- Project Tracking – by Budget Holder (program staff) Sensitive on over expensive and less expensive which is evaluated by program depart.
- Timely reporting/meeting all requirement till date
- Strongly follow the law of Nepal government (tax. Policies…)
- Using the standard Accounting software (FAMAS).
- Capable staffs (Finance Coordinator-1, Admin/finance officer-1,Accountent-1 admin/finance assistant-2)
- Cost consciousness:
- Prioritize for low cost and no cost techniques.
- Joint collaboration with other concern agencies (cost sharing)
- Resource generate at local level (VDC, Users group)
- Monthly cost analysis, tracking and planning.
- Conducts periodical review and planning meeting among District as well as local level stakeholders of all programs.
- Promote Local material and mobilization of Local Resource Person based on availability and need.
- Working Strategies of BES-Nepal;
- Access and Availability: Need Assessment, prioritization, support, and collaborative actions have been carried out.
- Quality Enhance & Assurance: Vendor listing, competitive procurement process, improve service provider capacity, technical support.
- Capacity Building- Knowledge/skill
- Advocacy & Policy – Better national policies/strategies/ increase investment and effective implementation in all level.
- Result based Monitoring & Evaluation with standard check lists.
- Joint Planning/implementation and collaboration with line agencies for better result.
- Strengths of BES-Nepal
- Established organization focusing on children’s issues (Education, Health, Nutrition, Agriculture)
- Strong Cooperation and coordination with line agencies, networks.
- Functional Financial Management system.
- Long and grassroots experience on community mobilization
- Practicing effective monitoring and evaluation system with checklist.
- Program and organizational activities guided on the base of policy and strategic plan of organization.
- Strong documentation and online reporting (OPMIS).
- Good governance and Inclusion
- BES-Nepal is familiar with the different culture, living styles, local languages and geographical condition.
- Effective Communication System (Website, Toll Free, Publication, Annual Report)
- BES-Nepal has its own resources i.e 2 office building in Palpa district, one 4 wheeler, 2 motorbikes and enough office equipments for the program implementation (property of 62 lakhs).